Preventing General Low Back Pain
Steps you can take to prevent back pain include the following:
- Wear comfortable, low-heeled shoes.
- Consider having your gait evaluated and corrected, if appropriate, with regular spinal alignment.
- Make sure your work surface is at a comfortable height for you.
- Use a chair with good lower back support that may recline slightly.
- If you must sit for long periods, rest your feet on the floor or on a low stool, whichever is more comfortable.
- If you must stand for long periods, rest one foot on a low stool.
- If you must drive long distances, use a pillow or a rolled-up towel behind the small of your back. Also, be sure to stop often and walk around for a few minutes.
- If you have trouble sleeping, sleep on your back with a pillow under your knees or sleep on your side with your knees bent and a pillow between your knees.